Blog Site Platforms: The Engines Behind Profitable Blogs
What is a blog?
“An online diary; a personal chronological log of thoughts published on a Web page.”
— Webster’s New Millennium™ Dictionary of English
Blogs retain the familiar aspects of ordinary, run-of-the-mill web sites, such as images, links, and video, while adding the dynamic of real-time user interaction. Blogs can also proactively “push” information to potential customers seeking the information the blog provides. This allows for faster, more aggressive information delivery that conforms to the preference of the customer.
As shown in the chart on the right, most Internet users read and/or interact with blogs and engage in the interactive nature of blogging. Quality potential customer interaction translates into a very real, and profitable, benefit: more potential customers.
What is a blog site platform?
An effective blog site platform can provide the added benefit of easy to read, constantly updated ‘feeds’ of information, known as RSS (Real Simple Syndication) feeds, which the user can employ using a number of devices, including mobile phones. In addition, video and sound can be constantly fed from the blog to user-owned computers and devices by way of ‘podcasts’ and media streams.
Not every blog platform supports the same number of features. A variety of differences between different platforms requires a business or individual hosting a blog to make a conscious, informed decision before they take on the task of building a truly effective, marketable blog. Independent firms that specialize in blogs built for business can help make these decisions for you, providing an optimum sometimes turn-key solution for your company.
What separates each type of blog site platform?
- Free Blog Platforms: In our opinion, like all things in life, when it comes to blogs you get what you pay for. Most free blogs monopolize the URL of your site (yoursite.freeblog.com), disrupting your brand integration and preventing you from moving your online presence in the future. Few specialized tools are provided and very little useful, profitable customization is allowed. Free blogs might be considered, at best, a handicapped introduction to the world of blogging and best utilized as a personal journal.
- Out-of-the-Box Platforms: Prepackaged solutions leave you in the dust if you seek to customize the blog to fit your company’s needs. Their cookie-cutter nature makes them restrictive by default, preventing you from conforming the blog to your needs. At best, you can brand your blog to fit your company image. However, further customization and enhancement is difficult. In most cases, you cannot choose specific tools or modify the blog’s proprietary underpinnings.
- Open Source Platforms: Open-source platforms are great in theory providing you are familiar with technology. While open source projects provides enough code, you must provide a great deal in order to turn them into effective solutions for business. Design, hosting, integration and optimization are all possible if you have the knowledge, time and money.
In addition, the source for all your support needs is an open forum you must approach with your fingers crossed, hoping a generous soul will provide you the answers you seek. Most business professionals lack the time and wherewithal to take advantage of open source on their own.
- Customized, Integrated Platforms: Combining open source platforms with proprietary tools and specialized service makes for a winning marriage. Blog site platforms provided by RSS Applied can give businesses the edge over other platform providers. We use a combination of proprietary and customized solutions to ensure maximized search engine visibility and brand promotion throughout your blog. Our social networking strategies may also give your blog an edge over your competition.
Blog Site Platforms: Customization Is King
Purchasing a quality blog developed by a specialized technology firm provides a litany of services and expert support. The crafting of a superior blog leads to the effective presentation of a particular industry or product. A memorable customer experience gives products and services mentioned on a blog a more credible stance from a consumer standpoint.
RSS Applied takes the steps necessary to ensure your blog succeeds, including:
- Dedicated Servers
- Blog analytics
- Brand integration
- Technical integration (XML/HTML)
- RSS news aggregation
- Enhanced Applications
- Hands on Support